- The definition of a description is a statement that is someone or something.
An example of description is a story about a family trip.
description definition by Webster's New World
- the act, process, art, or technique of describing or picturing in words
- a statement or passage that describes
- sort, kind, or variety: books of every description
- the act of tracing or outlining: the description of a circle
Origin: Middle English descripcioun ; from Old French description ; from Classical Latin descriptio, a marking out, delineation ; from past participle of describere
description definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- The act, process, or technique of describing.
- A statement or an account describing something: published a description of the journey; gave a vivid description of the game.
- A pictorial representation: Monet's ethereal descriptions of haystacks and water lilies.
- A kind or sort: cars of every size and description.
Origin: Middle English descripcioun, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin dēscrīptiō, dēscrīptiōn-, from dēscrīptus, past participle of dēscrībere, to write down; see describe.