- The definition of a description is a statement that gives details about someone or something.
An example of description is a story about the places visited on a family trip.
A job description tells about the job.
- the act, process, art, or technique of describing or picturing in words
- a statement or passage that describes
- sort, kind, or variety: books of every description
- the act of tracing or outlining: the description of a circle
Origin of descriptionMiddle English descripcioun ; from Old French description ; from Classical Latin descriptio, a marking out, delineation ; from past participle of describere
- The act, process, or technique of describing.
- A statement or an account describing something: published a description of the journey; gave a vivid description of the game.
- A pictorial representation: Monet's ethereal descriptions of haystacks and water lilies.
- A kind or sort: cars of every size and description.
Origin of descriptionMiddle English descripcioun, from Anglo-Norman, from Latin dēscrīptiō, dēscrīptiōn-, from dēscrīptus, past participle of dēscrībere, to write down; see describe.
- A sketch or account of anything in words; a portraiture or representation in language; an enumeration of the essential qualities of a thing or species.
- The act of describing; a delineation by marks or signs.
- A set of characteristics by which someone or something can be recognized.
- (biology) A scientific documentation of a specimen intended to reveal a new species by technically explaining its characteristics and particularly how it differs from other species.
- The type description of the fungus was written by a botanist.
- discerption, predictions