- Describing is defined as giving details about a person, thing or event.
An example of describing is telling someone what your Halloween costume looks like.
- Present participle of describe.
Variant of describe
transitive verbdescribed, describing
- to tell or write about; give a detailed account of
- to picture in words
- to trace the outline of: his arm described an arc in the air
- Obsolete to descry: so used through confusion
Origin of describeMiddle English descriven ; from Old French descrivre ; from Classical Latin describere, to copy down, transcribe ; from de-, from + scribere, to write: see scribe