- The definition of biography is a story written about someone's life.
An example of biography is a book about the story of President Obama's life.
biography definition by Webster's New World
- the histories of individual lives, considered as a branch of literature
- pl. biographies an account of a person's life, described by another; life story
Origin: Classical Greek biographia: see bio- and amp; -graphy
biography definition by American Heritage Dictionary
noun pl. bi·og·ra·phies
- An account of a person's life written, composed, or produced by another: a film biography of Adlai Stevenson; an oral biography.
- Biographies considered as a group, especially when regarded as a genre.
- The writing, composition, or production of biographies: a career entirely devoted to biography.
Origin: Late Greek biographiā : Greek bio-, bio- + Greek -graphiā, -graphy.
biography - Cultural Definition
The story of someone's life. The Life of Samuel Johnson, by James Boswell, and Abraham Lincoln, by Carl Sandburg, are two noted biographies. The story of the writer's own life is an autobiography.