- The definition of biography is a story written about someone's life.
An example of biography is a book about the story of President Obama's life.
- the histories of individual lives, considered as a branch of literature
- pl. biographies an account of a person's life, described by another; life story
Origin of biographyClassical Greek biographia: see bio- and amp; -graphy
- An account of a person's life written, composed, or produced by another: a film biography of Adlai Stevenson; an oral biography.
- Biographies considered as a group, especially when regarded as a genre.
- The writing, composition, or production of biographies: a career entirely devoted to biography.
Origin of biographyLate Greek biographiā : Greek bio-, bio- + Greek -graphiā, -graphy.
- A person's life story, especially one published.
- There are many biographies of Benjamin Franklin.
(third-person singular simple present biographies, present participle biographying, simple past and past participle biographied)
- To write a biography of.
From modern Latin biographia, formed from Ancient Greek βίος (bios, “life”) + γράφω (graphō, “write”).