- The definition of a store is a place where something is sold.
An example of a store is a supermarket.
- Store is defined as to put away or to stock.
- An example of to store is to keep food in the fridge.
- An example of to store is to copy files onto a computer disk.
store definition by Webster's New World
- to put aside, or accumulate, for use when needed
- to fill or furnish with a supply or stock: a mind stored with trivia
- to put, as in a warehouse, for safekeeping
- to be a place for the storage of
- Comput. to put or keep (information) on a disk, tape, etc.
Origin: Middle English storen ; from Old French estorer, to erect, furnish, store ; from Classical Latin instaurare, to repair, restore, erect ; from in-, in- plush -staurare ; from Indo-European base an unverified form stā-, to stand
- a supply (of something) for use when needed; reserve; stock
- supplies, esp. of food, clothing, arms, etc.
- ☆ a retail establishment where goods are regularly offered for sale
- a place where supplies are kept; storehouse; warehouse
- a great amount or number; abundance
Origin: ME < OFr estor < the v.
- storable adjective
store definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A place where merchandise is offered for sale; a shop.
- A stock or supply reserved for future use: a squirrel's store of acorns.
- stores Supplies, especially of food, clothing, or arms.
- A place where commodities are kept; a warehouse or storehouse.
- A great quantity or number; an abundance.
- To reserve or put away for future use.
- To fill, supply, or stock.
- To deposit or receive in a storehouse or warehouse for safekeeping.
- Computer Science To copy (data) into memory or onto a storage device, such as a hard disk.
Origin: Middle English stor, supply, from Old French estor, from estorer, to build, from Latin īnstaurāre, to restore; see stā- in Indo-European roots.
- storˈa·ble adjective
- storˈer noun
store - Business Definition
store - Computer Definition
To copy the data in the computer's memory to an internal storage device such as a disk or an external storage device such as a disk or USB drive. "Store" and "save" are synonymous.
store - Phrases/Idioms
mind the storeâ
- Forthcoming: great trouble in store for her.
- In reserve; stored.