- the aromatic balsam exuded by liquidambar trees, used in medicine and perfumery
- a fragrant, solid resin obtained from a small, E Mediterranean tree (Styrax officinalis) of the storax family, formerly used as incense
- any of a genus (Styrax) of chiefly tropical trees and shrubs of the storax family, with drooping clusters of showy white flowers
Origin of storaxMiddle English from Classical Latin storax, styrax from Classical Greek styrax, of Semitic origin, originally , as in Classical Hebrew (language) tsori, terebinth resin
designating a family (Styracaceae, order Ebenales) of widely distributed dicotyledonous trees or shrubs, as the snowbell
- A brownish aromatic resin used in perfume and medicine and obtained from any of several trees of the genus Liquidambar, especially L. orientalis, of Turkey. Also called styrax .
- a. See snowbell.b. An aromatic resin obtained from a Mediterranean species of snowbell. Also called styrax .
Origin of storaxMiddle English from Latin alteration of styrax from Greek sturax perhaps of Semitic origin &saclod;rw