- The definition of an export is something that is shipped or brought to another country to be sold or traded.
An example of export is rice being shipped from China to be sold in many countries.
- Export is defined as to move products to another country for the purpose of trade or sale.
An example of export is Ecuador shipping bananas to other countries for sale.
- To export is defined as to send something from one place to another.
An example of export is to send a computer file from one software program to another software program.
A container ship carrrying goods for export.
export definition by Webster's New World
- to carry or send (goods) to another country or other countries, esp. for purposes of sale
- to carry or send (ideas, culture, etc.) from one place to another
- Obsolete to carry off; transport
Origin: Classical Latin exportare ; from ex-, out plush portare, to carry: see port
- something exported
- the act or process of exporting
export definition by American Heritage Dictionary
verb ex·port·ed, ex·port·ing, ex·ports verb, transitive
- To send or transport (a commodity, for example) abroad, especially for trade or sale.
- To cause the spread of (an idea, for example) in another part of the world; transmit.
- Computer Science a. To send (data) from one program to another: “You'll need to export your spreadsheet file into a desktop publishing program” (Jon Pepper).b. To use an application to store (data) on disk, usually for use by another program.
Origin: Middle English exsport, from Latin exportāre : ex-, ex- + portāre, to carry; see per-2 in Indo-European roots.
- ex·portˌa·bilˈi·ty noun
- ex·portˈa·ble adjective
- ex·portˈer noun
export - Business Definition
export - Computer Definition
To save a copy of the current open document, database, image or video into a file format required by a different application. Applications may export to a variety of popular formats. The Save As command in a program gives you access to the export filters in a program. Contrast with import. See foreign format, graphics formats and Save As.
export - Investment & Finance Definition
To sell goods or services to a company in another country. The level of exports helps to determine a country’s trade balance. If exports exceed the amount of imports, then the country has a trade surplus. If imports exceed exports, then the country has a trade deficit.