- The definition of a shop is a store or the work area of a person in a trade.
- An example of shop is the local grocery store.
- An example of shop is where the cars are fixed in an auto repair center.
- Shop is defined as to visit stores and buy goods.
An example of shop is to go to the mall and buy some clothing.
This woman works in a flower shop.
shop definition by Webster's New World
- a place where certain goods or services are offered for sale; esp., a small store
- a specialized department in a large store: the gourmet shop
- a place where a particular kind of work is done: a printing shop
- ☆ in some schools, an industrial arts course, class, or department
Origin: Middle English schoppe ; from Old English sceoppa, booth, stall, akin to German schopf, porch ; from Indo-European base an unverified form (s)keup-, a bundle, sheaf of straw: probably basic meaning “roof made of straw thatch”
- ☆ Informal to shop at (a specified store)
- Brit., Slang
- to inform on, esp. to the police
- to arrest or imprison
- Informal to offer for sale: often with around
shop definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- also shoppe A small retail store or a specialty department in a large store.
- An atelier; a studio.
- A place for manufacturing or repairing goods or machinery.
- A commercial or industrial establishment: a printing shop.
- A business establishment; an office or a center of activity.
- A home workshop.
- a. A schoolroom fitted with machinery and tools for instruction in industrial arts.b. The industrial arts as a technical science or course of study.
- To visit stores in search of merchandise or bargains.
- To look for something with the intention of acquiring it.
Origin: Middle English shoppe, from Old English sceoppa, treasure house.
shop - Investment & Finance Definition
shop - Legal Definition
shop - Phrases/Idioms
set up shop
- to go from shop to shop, looking for bargains or special items
- to search about for a good or better job, idea, etc.
shut up shop
- to close a place of business, as for the night
- to go out of business