- The definition of patronize is to be kind or helpful to someone, but to talk to them as if they are inferior.
An example of patronize is when someone speaks slowly to an older person who can hear perfectly well.
- To patronize is defined as to support someone or something.
An example of patronize is when a wealthy person funds the work of an artist.
- Patronize means to be a regular customer of a business.
An example of patronize is going to a specific café every morning.
patronize definition by Webster's New World
patronize definition by American Heritage Dictionary
transitive verb pa·tron·ized, pa·tron·iz·ing, pa·tron·iz·es
- To act as a patron to; support or sponsor.
- To go to as a customer, especially on a regular basis.
- To treat in a condescending manner.
- paˌtron·i·zaˈtion noun
- paˈtron·izˌing·ly adverb