- a woman's hairdo in which the hair is swept up high from the forehead, usually over a roll
- a man's hairdo in which the hair is brushed up high from the forehead
Origin of pompadourafter Pompadour
- A hairstyle formed by sweeping the hair straight up from the forehead into a high, turned-back roll, sometimes using a rat.
- A hairstyle with the hair brushed back from the forehead to stand straight up without parting.
Origin of pompadourAfter theMarquise de Pompadour
Marquise deTitle of Jeanne Antoinette Poisson. 1721-1764
(third-person singular simple present pompadours, present participle pompadouring, simple past and past participle pompadoured)
- To style hair into a pompadour
From Pompadour, after Madame de Pompadour (1721-1764), mistress of Louis XV.