- Pomp is a dignified display with a lot of splendor.
A lavish military parade is an example of pomp.
pomp definition by Webster's New World
- stately or brilliant display; splendor
- ostentatious show or display
- Obsolete a pageant
Origin: Middle English ; from Middle French pompe ; from Classical Latin pompa ; from Classical Greek pompē, solemn procession ; from pempein, to send
pomp definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Dignified or magnificent display; splendor: the solemn pomp of a military funeral.
- Vain or ostentatious display. See Synonyms at display.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French pompe, from Latin pompa, pomp, procession, from Greek pompē, procession, from pempein, to send.
pomp - Medical Definition