- having to do with a pontifex or a high priest
- having to do with or celebrated by a bishop or other high-ranking prelate: a pontifical Mass
- having to do with the pope; papal
- having the pomp, dignity, or dogmatism of a pontiff; sometimes, specif., arrogant or haughty
Origin of pontificalMiddle English pontificall ; from Classical Latin pontificalis ; from pontifex: see pontiff
- a pontiff's vestments and insignia
- a book of offices for a bishop
- Relating to, characteristic of, or suitable for a pontiff.
- Pompously dogmatic or self-important; pretentious.
- pontificals The vestments and insignia of a bishop.
- A book of forms for ceremonies performed by a bishop.
Origin of pontificalMiddle English, from Old French, from Latin pontificalis, of a pontifex, from pontifex, pontific-, pontifex; see pontifex.
(comparative more pontifical, superlative most pontifical)
- A book containing the offices, or formulas, used by a pontiff.
The plural, pontificals, refers to "the vestments of a bishop".