- The definition of overbearing is someone who is bossy, arrogant or overwhelming in their power.
An example of overbearing is a father not letting his teenage daughter have any friends.
- acting in a dictatorial manner; arrogant; domineering
- of transcending importance; overriding
- Domineering in manner; arrogant: an overbearing official. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- Overwhelming in power or significance; predominant: “Democracy is &ellipsis; deranged by the overbearing influence of business and finance” (William Greider).
Variant of overbear
transitive verboverbore, overborne, overbearing
- to press or bear down by weight or physical power
- to dominate, domineer over, overrule, or subdue
to be too fruitful; bear to excess