- The definition of overbearing is someone who is bossy, arrogant or overwhelming in their power.
An example of overbearing is a father not letting his teenage daughter have any friends.
overbearing definition by Webster's New World
- acting in a dictatorial manner; arrogant; domineering
- of transcending importance; overriding
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- overbearingly adverb
overbearing definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Domineering in manner; arrogant: an overbearing person. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- Overwhelming in power or significance; predominant.
- oˌver·bearˈing·ly adverb
- oˌver·bearˈing·ness noun
Variant of overbear
transitive verb overbore, overborne, overbearing
- to press or bear down by weight or physical power
- to dominate, domineer over, overrule, or subdue
to be too fruitful; bear to excess