- acting in a dictatorial manner; arrogant; domineering
- of transcending importance; overriding
The definition of overbearing is someone who is bossy, arrogant or overwhelming in their power.
An example of overbearing is a father not letting his teenage daughter have any friends.
- Domineering in manner; arrogant: an overbearing official. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- Overwhelming in power or significance; predominant: “Democracy is … deranged by the overbearing influence of business and finance” ( William Greider )
- Obviously he isn't as overbearing as Alex.
- But the young duke, galled by Louis's overbearing arrogance, eventually asserted his independence and joined the league of Austria, Spain and Venice against him in r690.
- Dean felt equally acrimonious toward the overbearing state official whom he hadn't seen since the winter and who, in Dean's mind, had no business being back in Ouray.
- Cavalier in English was early applied in a contemptuous sense to an overbearing swashbuckler - a roisterer or swaggering gallant.
- Born at Turin, he lost his father in 1675, and spent his youth under the regency of his mother, known as "Madama Reale" (madame royale), an able but ambitious and overbearing woman.