of, like, characteristic of, or suitable to a lord; specif.,
- noble; grand
- haughty; overbearing
Origin of lordlyMiddle English ; from Old English hlafordlic
in the manner of a lord
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a lord.
- Very dignified and noble: a lordly and charitable enterprise.
- Pretentiously arrogant and overbearing.
- In a dignified, noble fashion befitting or characteristic of a lord.
- In a pretentiously arrogant and overbearing manner.
(comparative lordlier or more lordly, superlative lordliest or most lordly)
(comparative lordlier, superlative lordliest)