lordly definition by Webster's New World
adjective lordlier, lordliest
of, like, characteristic of, or suitable to a lord; specif.,
- noble; grand
- haughty; overbearing
Origin: Middle English ; from Old English hlafordlic
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- lordliness noun
lordly definition by American Heritage Dictionary
adjective lord·li·er, lord·li·est
- Of, relating to, or characteristic of a lord.
- Very dignified and noble: a lordly and charitable enterprise.
- Pretentiously arrogant and overbearing.
- In a dignified, noble fashion befitting or characteristic of a lord.
- In a pretentiously arrogant and overbearing manner.
- lordˈli·ness noun