- Arrogant; disdainful.
- Highly pleased; elated.
(comparative more prideful, superlative most prideful)
Variant of pride
- an unduly high opinion of oneself; exaggerated self-esteem; conceit
- haughty behavior resulting from this; arrogance
- proper respect for oneself; sense of one's own dignity or worth; self-respect
- delight or satisfaction in one's own or another's achievements, in associations, etc.
- a person or thing in which pride is taken
- the best of a class, group, society, etc.; pick; flower
- the best part; prime: in the pride of manhood
- mettle (in a horse)
- a group or family (of lions)
- Informal any impressive group
- magnificence; splendor
- Obsolete sexual desire
Origin of prideMiddle English ; from Old English pryte ; from prut, proud
pride oneself on
to be proud of