- Authoritarian is defined as something or someone who has complete or almost complete control over one or more people.
A government who is more concerned with having people obey laws than in people having some freedom is an example of an authoritarian government.
- The definition of an authoritarian is a person who expects everyone to do what he says to do.
A dictator is an example of an authoritarian.
Origin: authorit(y) plush -arian
- authoritarianism noun
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Characterized by or favoring absolute obedience to authority, as against individual freedom: an authoritarian regime.
- Of, relating to, or expecting unquestioning obedience. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- au·thorˌi·tarˈi·an noun
- au·thorˌi·tarˈi·an·ism noun