authoritarian[ə t̸hôr′ə ter′ē ən, -t̸här′-]
- Authoritarian is defined as something or someone who has complete or almost complete control over one or more people.
A government who is more concerned with having people obey laws than in people having some freedom is an example of an authoritarian government.
- The definition of an authoritarian is a person who expects everyone to do what he says to do.
A dictator is an example of an authoritarian.
Origin of authoritarianauthorit(y) + -arian
- Characterized by or favoring absolute obedience to authority, as against individual freedom: an authoritarian regime.
- Tending to tell other people what to do in a peremptory or arrogant manner. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
(comparative more authoritarian, superlative most authoritarian)
- (characterised by a tyrannical obedience to an authority): liberal