- The definition of an autocrat is a person with unlimited power over others.
Fidel Castro is an example of a famous autocrat.
autocrat definition by Webster's New World
- a ruler with absolute power; dictator; despot
- anyone having unlimited power over others
- any domineering, self-willed person
Origin: French autocrate ; from Classical Greek autokratēs, absolute ruler ; from autos, self plush kratos, power, rule: see -crat
autocrat definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A ruler having unlimited power; a despot.
- A person with unlimited power or authority: a corporate autocrat.
Origin: French autocrate, from Greek autokratēs, ruling by oneself : auto-, auto- + -kratēs, -crat.
- auˌto·cratˈic, auˌto·cratˈi·cal adjective
- auˌto·cratˈi·cal·ly adverb