Fidel Castro is an example of a famous autocrat.
- a ruler with absolute power; dictator; despot
- anyone having unlimited power over others
- any domineering, self-willed person
Origin of autocratFrench autocrate ; from Classical Greek autokrat?s, absolute ruler ; from autos, self + kratos, power, rule: see -crat
- A ruler having unlimited power; a despot.
- A person with unlimited power or authority: a corporate autocrat.
Origin of autocratFrench autocrate, from Greek autokratēs, ruling by oneself : auto-, auto- + -kratēs, -crat.
From French autocrate, itself from Ancient Greek αὐτοκρατής (autokratēs, “sovereign”), from αὐτο- (auto-, “self”) (combinatory form of αὐτός (autos)) + κρατία (kratia, “rule”) (from κράτος (kratos, “strength, power”))