- Sovereign is defined as ruler with unlimited power, the chief or greatest, or independent.
- A king is an example of someone with sovereign powers.
- The value that is most important to a company is an example of something sovereign.
- A country that has become independent is an example of something sovereign.
- The definition of a sovereign is a king or queen, or a 19th century gold coin used in the UK.
- An example of a sovereign is Queen Elizabeth.
- A British gold coin worth 20 shillings in 1895 is an example of a sovereign.
- above or superior to all others; chief; greatest; supreme
- supreme in power, rank, or authority
- of or holding the position of ruler; royal; reigning
- independent of all others: a sovereign state
- excellent; outstanding
- very effectual, as a cure or remedy
- Finance of or having to do with the economy or finances of a national government: Greece's sovereign debt
Origin of sovereignMiddle English soveraine from Old French from Vulgar Latin an unverified form superanus from Classical Latin super, above, over
- a person who possesses sovereign authority or power; specif., a monarch or ruler
- a British gold coin valued at 20 shillings or one pound sterling, no longer minted for circulation
- One that exercises supreme, permanent authority, especially in a nation or other governmental unit, as:a. A king, queen, or other noble person who serves as chief of state; a ruler or monarch.b. A national governing council or committee.
- A nation that governs territory outside its borders.
- A gold coin formerly used in Great Britain.
- Self-governing; independent: a sovereign state.
- Having supreme rank or power: a sovereign prince.
- Paramount; supreme: Her sovereign virtue is compassion.
- a. Of superlative strength or efficacy: a sovereign remedy.b. Unmitigated: sovereign contempt.
Origin of sovereignMiddle English soverain from Old French from Vulgar Latin superānus from Latin super above ; see uper in Indo-European roots.
(comparative more sovereign, superlative most sovereign)
- A monarch; the ruler of a country.
- One who is not a subject to a ruler or nation.
- A gold coin formerly used in the United Kingdom.
- A very large champagne bottle with the capacity of about 25 liters, equivalent to 33â…“ standard bottles.
- Any butterfly of the tribe Nymphalini, or genus Basilarchia, as the ursula and the viceroy.
sovereign - Legal Definition
A person, state, or group that is preeminent and independent of the will of others; the ruler of an autocratic state. See also sovereignty.