- The definition of subservient is someone who is useful, submissive and functions in a subordinate capacity.
An example of someone who would be described as subservient is a meek person who defers to what others want and always obeys any command.
subservient definition by Webster's New World
- that is useful, helpful, or of service, esp. in an inferior or subordinate capacity
- submissive; obsequious
Origin: Classical Latin subserviens, present participle of subservire, to subserve
- subserviently adverb
subservient definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Subordinate in capacity or function.
- Obsequious; servile.
- Useful as a means or an instrument; serving to promote an end.
Origin: Latin subserviēns, subservient-, present participle of subservīre, to subserve; see subserve.
- sub·serˈvi·ence, sub·serˈvi·en·cy noun
- sub·serˈvi·ent·ly adverb