The definition of subservient is someone who is useful, submissive and functions in a subordinate capacity.
An example of someone who would be described as subservient is a meek person who defers to what others want and always obeys any command.
- that is useful, helpful, or of service, esp. in an inferior or subordinate capacity
- willing to obey or serve because of being in a lower position; submissive
Origin of subservientClassical Latin subserviens, present participle of subservire, to subserve
- Subordinate in capacity or function.
- Obsequious; servile.
- Useful as a means or an instrument; serving to promote an end.
Origin of subservientLatin subserviēns, subservient-, present participle of subservīre, to subserve; see subserve.
- sub·ser′vi·ence, sub·ser′vi·en·cy