Jay was resigned to the fact that he would never be as tall, muscular or handsome as his friend Dirk.
- When you let your boss know you are leaving your job, this is an example of a situation where you resigned from your job.
- When you accept the fact that you have to live in a cold place even though you hate the cold, this is an example of a situation where you are resigned to your fate.
Resigned is defined as you gave notice you were leaving your job, or have accepted and come to terms with some less-than-desirable reality.
Feeling or marked by resignation; acquiescent: “I like trees because they seem more resigned to the way they have to live than other things do” ( Willa Cather )
- Simple past tense and past participle of resign.
- I tried to appear resigned to defeat.
- I was surprised when Alex resigned and moved up here.
- He looked comically resigned to the idea.
- He resigned office on the 23rd of January 1 793, two days after the king's execution.
- When war was actually begun, Hastings officially recorded his previous resolution to have resigned, in order to repudiate responsibility for measures which he had always opposed.