prince definition by Webster's New World
- Archaic any male monarch; esp., a king
- a ruler whose rank is below that of king; head of a principality
- a nonreigning male member of a royal family
- in Great Britain, a son of the sovereign or of a son of the sovereign
- any of various noblemen in other countries
- a preeminent person in any class or group: a merchant prince
- Informal a fine, generous, helpful fellow
Origin: Old French ; from Classical Latin princeps, first, chief, prince ; from an unverified form primo-caps, literally , first-taken ; from primus (see prime) plush capere, to take (see have)
- princedom noun
prince definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A male member of a royal family other than the monarch, especially a son of the monarch.
- a. A man who is a ruler of a principality.b. A hereditary male ruler; a king.
- A nobleman of varying status or rank.
- An outstanding man, especially in a particular group or class: a merchant prince.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin prīnceps; see per1 in Indo-European roots.
- princeˈshipˌ noun
, Harold Smith Known as “Hal.” Born 1928.
prince - Computer Definition
Software that converts XML and HTML documents into the PDF format from YesLogic Pty. Ltd., Melbourne, Australia (www.princexml.com). With versions for Windows, Mac and Linux, Prince uses cascading style sheets (CSS) for both XML, HTML and XHTML input. Known for its comprehensive support of intricate page layout, Prince enables extremely complex documents to be converted accurately into PDFs. Prince is also used to create custom PDF documents on the fly, such as invoices and receipts.