- The definition of autonomous is a person or entity that is self-controlling and not governed by outside forces.
An example of autonomous is agovernment that can run itself without aid from an outside country.
autonomous definition by Webster's New World
- of or having to do with an autonomy
- having self-government
- functioning independently without control by others
- existing, functioning, or developing independently of other parts or forms
- resulting from internal causes; autonomic
Origin: Classical Greek autonomos, independent ; from autos, self plush nomos, law: see -nomy
- autonomously adverb
autonomous definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: an autonomous judiciary; an autonomous division of a corporate conglomerate.
- Independent in mind or judgment; self-directed.
- a. Independent of the laws of another state or government; self-governing.b. Of or relating to a self-governing entity: an autonomous legislature.c. Self-governing with respect to local or internal affairs: an autonomous region of a country.
Origin: From Greek autonomos : auto-, auto- + nomos, law; see nem- in Indo-European roots.
- au·tonˈo·mous·ly adverb