The definition of autonomous is a person or entity that is self-controlling and not governed by outside forces.
An example of autonomous is agovernment that can run itself without aid from an outside country.
- of or having to do with an autonomy
- having self-government
- functioning independently without control by others
- existing, functioning, or developing independently of other parts or forms
- resulting from internal causes; autonomic
Origin of autonomousClassical Greek autonomos, independent from autos, self + nomos, law: see -nomy
- Not controlled by others or by outside forces; independent: an autonomous judiciary; an autonomous division of a corporate conglomerate.
- Independent in mind or judgment; self-directed.
- a. Independent of the laws of another state or government; self-governing.b. Of or relating to a self-governing entity: an autonomous legislature.c. Self-governing with respect to local or internal affairs: an autonomous region of a country.
Origin of autonomousFrom Greek autonomos auto- auto- nomos law ; see nem- in Indo-European roots.
- Self-governing. Intelligent, sentient, self-aware, thinking, feeling, Governing independently.
- Acting on one's own or independently; of a child, acting without being governed by parental or guardian rules.
- (Celtic linguistics, of a verb form) Used with no subject, indicating an unknown or unspecified agent; used in similar situations as the passive in English (the difference being that the theme in the English passive construction is the subject, while in the Celtic autonomous construction the theme is the object and there is no subject).
See autonomy and -ous.