autocracy[ô tä′krə sē]
A monarchy is an example ofan autocracy.
- government in which one person has absolute power; dictatorship; despotism
- pl. autocracies a country with this kind of government
- unlimited power or authority of one person over others
Origin of autocracyClassical Greek autokrateia, absolute power: see auto- and amp; -cracy
- Government by a single person having unlimited power; despotism.
- A country or state that is governed by a single person with unlimited power.
auto- + -cracy, from Ancient Greek αὐτοκρατής (autokrates, “one who governs alone”), from αὐτός (autos, “single, self, same, alone”) + κράτος (kratos, “power”).