- The definition of autocracy means a country, city, or other area is ruled over by one person who has total control.
A monarchy is an example ofan autocracy.
autocracy definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- government in which one person has absolute power; dictatorship; despotism
- pl. autocracies a country with this kind of government
- unlimited power or authority of one person over others
Origin: Classical Greek autokrateia, absolute power: see auto- and amp; -cracy
autocracy definition by American Heritage Dictionary
The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, 4th edition Copyright © 2010 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
noun pl. au·toc·ra·cies
- Government by a single person having unlimited power; despotism.
- A country or state that is governed by a single person with unlimited power.