- the position or office of a dictator
- the time during which a dictator rules
- a state ruled by a dictator
- absolute power or authority
The definition of a dictatorship is an office or government under absolute control of one person.
An example of a dictatorship is the rule of Uganda by Idi Amin from 1971 to 1979.
- The office or tenure of a dictator.
- A state or government under dictatorial rule.
- Absolute or despotic control or power.
dictator + -ship
- This dictatorship of Rosas continued until 1852.
- Sulla's dictatorship was the form taken by a provisional government.
- He wrote twenty-three books on the period between the Social War and the dictatorship of Sulla.
- In 79 Sulla resigned his dictatorship and retired to Puteoli (mod.
- But towards the close of Lerdo de Tejada's term he was suspected of aiming at a dictatorship, and Diaz, whom he had proscribed, made preparations for a rising, then retiring to Texas.