- the doctrine or system of government under which the ruler has unlimited powers; despotism
- the quality of being absolute
- Philos. any doctrine involving the existence of some metaphysical or axiological principle that is absolute, or not relative
- a. A political theory holding that all power should be vested in one ruler or other authority.b. A form of government in which all power is vested in a single ruler or other authority.
- An absolute doctrine, principle, or standard.
- (theology) Doctrine of preordination; doctrine of absolute decrees; doctrine that God acts in an absolute manner. [First attested in the mid 18th century.]
- (political science) The principles or practice of absolute or arbitrary government; despotism. [First attested in the early 19th century.]
- (philosophy) Belief in a metaphysical absolute; belief in Absolute. [First attested in the late 19th century.]
- Positiveness; the state of being absolute.