- The definition of a martinet is someone who is strict and follows rules absolutely, especially in the military.
- A drill sergeant is an example of a martinet in the military.
- A principal who doesn't allow a student to break a single rule is an example of a martinet.
martinet definition by Webster's New World
Webster's New World College Dictionary Copyright © 2010 by Wiley Publishing, Inc., Cleveland, Ohio. Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a very strict military disciplinarian
- any very strict disciplinarian or stickler for rigid regulations
Origin: after Genesis Jean Martinet, 17th-c. French drillmaster
martinet definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A rigid military disciplinarian.
- One who demands absolute adherence to forms and rules.
Origin: After Jean Martinet (died 1672), French army officer.