- the strap of a horse's harness passing from the noseband to the girth between the forelegs, to keep the horse from rearing or throwing back its head
- a lower stay for the jib boom or flying jib boom of a sailing vessel, to bear the strain of the head stays
- dolphin striker
- a system of betting in which, after a losing wager, the amount bet is doubled or otherwise increased
Origin: Fr, probably from Spanish almártaga, a check, rein from Arabic
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The strap of a horse's harness that connects the girth to the noseband and is designed to prevent the horse from throwing back its head.
- Nautical Any of several parts of standing rigging strengthening the bowsprit and jib boom against the force of the head stays.
- Games A method of gambling in which one doubles the stakes after each loss.
- A loose half belt or strap placed on the back of a garment, such as a coat or jacket.
Origin: French, perhaps alteration of Spanish almártaga, almártiga, rein, harness, perhaps of Arabic origin.