- The definition of a tyrant is a cruel ruler or authority figure.
An example of a tyrant was Joseph Stalin.
tyrant definition by Webster's New World
- an absolute ruler; specif., in ancient Greece, etc., one who seized sovereignty illegally; usurper
- a cruel, oppressive ruler; despot
- any person who exercises authority in an oppressive manner; cruel master
- a tyrannical influence
Origin: Middle English tirant ; from Old French tiran, tirant (with -t after ending -ant of present participle ) ; from Classical Latin tyrannus ; from Classical Greek tyrannos
tyrant definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- An absolute ruler who governs without restrictions.
- A ruler who exercises power in a harsh, cruel manner.
- An oppressive, harsh, arbitrary person.
Origin: Middle English, from Old French, alteration of tyran, from Latin tyrannus, from Greek turannos.