- acting in a dictatorial manner; arrogant; domineering
- of transcending importance; overriding
The definition of overbearing is someone who is bossy, arrogant or overwhelming in their power.
An example of overbearing is a father not letting his teenage daughter have any friends.
- Domineering in manner; arrogant: an overbearing official. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- Overwhelming in power or significance; predominant: “Democracy is … deranged by the overbearing influence of business and finance” ( William Greider )
- Obviously he isn't as overbearing as Alex.
- But the young duke, galled by Louis's overbearing arrogance, eventually asserted his independence and joined the league of Austria, Spain and Venice against him in r690.
- Dean felt equally acrimonious toward the overbearing state official whom he hadn't seen since the winter and who, in Dean's mind, had no business being back in Ouray.
- Cavalier in English was early applied in a contemptuous sense to an overbearing swashbuckler - a roisterer or swaggering gallant.
- The 6th is related to degrees of courage, resolution, rashness or timidity; the 7th indicates sensitiveness, morality, good conduct, or immorality, overbearing temper and self-will.