The definition of domineering is someone who is overpowering or dominant.
An example of someone who is domineering is a mother-in-law who tries to control the wedding of her only son.
Arrogant in asserting or attempting to assert one's will over others; overbearing. See Synonyms at dictatorial.
- Present participle of domineer.
(comparative more domineering, superlative most domineering)
- The act of one who domineers.
- If children behave aggressively with peers, act bossy and domineering, or are disruptive and impulsive at school, they are more likely to have long-lasting peer difficulties than are children who are simply shy.
- Her mother - a staple on all of New York's shows - caused a lot of conflict in Hollywood with her domineering personality and her demands to manage every aspect of New York's career.
- Gabriel obeyed, and Katie flung a shoe at the domineering man with the jewel-toned eyes.
- He opposed with some success the domineering policy of the Venetian government in Italian affairs.
- But no sooner had he taken over the command than his haughty and domineering temper estranged him both from his second-in-command, Lord Granby, and the commander-in-chief, Prince Ferdinand.