- Fanfare is defined as a loud and flashy display, or a short and dramatic trumpet flourish.
- An example of a fanfare is a parade.
- An example of fanfare is two trumpet musicians announcing the arrival of the guest of honor at a function.
Trumpets ready to give a fanfare.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- a loud flourish of trumpets
- noisy or showy display
Origin: French ; from fanfarer, to blow trumpets, probably ; from fanfaron, braggart: see fanfaronade
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Music A loud flourish of brass instruments, especially trumpets.
- A spectacular public display.
Origin: French, possibly of imitative origin.