- An example of a panoply is a display of flowers at a flower show.
- An example of a panoply is a wedding gown.
- An example of a panoply is a suit of armor.
The definition of a panoply is a beautiful and striking set up, magnificent decor or clothing, or a protective covering.
- a complete suit of armor
- any protective covering
- any complete or magnificent covering or array
Origin of panoplyClassical Greek panoplia ; from pan, all (see pan-) + hopla, arms, plural of hoplon, tool (see hoplite)
- A splendid or striking array or arrangement: a panoply of colorful flags.
- Ceremonial attire with all accessories: a portrait of the general in full panoply.
- Something that covers and protects: a porcupine's panoply of quills.
- The complete arms and armor of a warrior.
Origin of panoplyGreek panoplia : pan-, pan- + hopla, arms, armor, pl. of hoplon, weapon.
Ancient Greek Ï€Î±Î½Î¿Ï€Î»Î¯Î± (panoplÃa), from Ï€Î¬Î½ (pan, “all") (English pan-) + á½…Ï€Î»Î¿Î½ (hoplos, “arms") (English hopl-).
Cognate to French panoplie.