A man in firefighters garb.
- The definition of garb is clothing style, or outward appearance.
An example of garb is the clothes worn by a fireman.
- Garb is defined as to dress someone.
An example of garb is to put clothes on a baby.
- clothing; manner or style of dress, esp. as characteristic of an occupation, profession, or rank: clerical garb
- external form or appearance
- Obsolete style; manner
Origin of garbOld French garbe, gracefulness ; from Italian garbo, elegance ; from uncertain or unknown; perhaps Germanic an unverified form garwī from source Old High German gar(a)wen, to prepare, dress, ornament
- A distinctive style or form of clothing; dress: clerical garb.
- An outward appearance; a guise: presented their radical ideas in the garb of moderation.
transitive verbgarbed, garb·ing, garbs
Origin of garbObsolete French garbe, grace, from Italian garbo, from garbare, to please, of Germanic origin.
(third-person singular simple present garbs, present participle garbing, simple past and past participle garbed)
- To dress in garb.
From Middle French garbe (“graceful outline”) (Modern French galbe), from Italian garbo (“grace, elegance”), perhaps from Germanic (compare Old High German garwi, garawi (“dress, equipment, preparation”) and English gear).
French gerbe; akin to German Garbe