- The definition of garbage is waste to be thrown out, or anything worthless or offensive.
An example of garbage is a plate of rotting food.
Piles of garbage.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- spoiled or waste food that is thrown away
- any worthless, unnecessary, or offensive matter: literary garbage
Origin: ME, entrails of fowls from uncertain or unknown; perhaps
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- a. Food wastes, as from a kitchen.b. Refuse; trash.
- A place or receptacle where rubbish is discarded: tossed the apple core into the garbage.
- a. Worthless or nonsensical matter; rubbish: Their advice turned out to be nothing but garbage.b. Inferior or offensive literary or artistic material.
- Computer Science Incorrect, meaningless, or unwanted data.
Origin: Middle English, offal from fowls.