- Rubbish is defined as garbage or something thrown away, or worthless ideas.
An example of rubbish is a pair of smelly old sneakers that are full of holes.
These shoes are rubbish.
- any material rejected or thrown away as worthless; trash; refuse
- worthless, foolish ideas, statements, etc.; nonsense
Origin of rubbishMiddle English robous, robys: ultimately ; from base of rub
- Refuse; garbage.
- Worthless material.
- Foolish discourse; nonsense.
Origin of rubbishMiddle English robishe.
(comparative more rubbish, superlative most rubbish)
- (chiefly Australia, New Zealand, UK, colloquial) Expresses that something is exceedingly bad, terrible or awful.
- The one day I actually practice my violin, the teacher cancels the lesson.
- Aw, rubbish! Though at least this means you have time to play football...
- Expresses that what was recently said is untruth or nonsense.
- Rubbish! I did nothing of the sort!
- (chiefly Australia, New Zealand, UK) Garbage, junk, refuse, waste.
- The rubbish is collected every Thursday in Gloucester, but on Wednesdays in Cheltenham.
- Fragments of buildings; ruins; debris.
(third-person singular simple present rubbishes, present participle rubbishing, simple past and past participle rubbished)