- The definition of a guise is an outward appearance presented to the world that may not be true or accurate.
When you go into the kitchen and claim you are there to help, but you are really in the kitchen to steal a cookie, this is an example of a situation where you go to the kitchen under the guise of wanting to help.
- manner or way
- customary behavior, manner, or carriage
- manner of dress; garb
- outward aspect; semblance
- a false or deceiving appearance; pretense: under the guise of friendship
Origin of guiseMiddle English gise ; from Old French guise ; from Old High German wisa, way, manner, akin to wise
- Guise, François de Lorraine 2d Duc de Guise 1519-63; Fr. statesman
- Guise, Henri de Lorraine 3d Duc de Guise 1550-88; Fr. statesman: son of François
- Outward appearance or aspect; semblance.
- False appearance; pretense: spoke to me under the guise of friendship.
- Mode of dress; garb: huddled on the street in the guise of beggars.
- Obsolete Custom; habit.
Origin of guiseMiddle English, manner, fashion, from Old French, of Germanic origin; see weid- in Indo-European roots.