When you go into the kitchen and claim you are there to help, but you are really in the kitchen to steal a cookie, this is an example of a situation where you go to the kitchen under the guise of wanting to help.
- manner or way
- customary behavior, manner, or carriage
- manner of dress; garb
- outward aspect; semblance
- a false or deceiving appearance; pretense: under the guise of friendship
Origin of guiseMiddle English gise ; from Old French guise ; from Old High German wisa, way, manner, akin to wise
- Outward appearance or aspect; semblance.
- False appearance; pretense: spoke to me under the guise of friendship.
- Mode of dress; garb: huddled on the street in the guise of beggars.
- Obsolete Custom; habit.
Origin of guiseMiddle English, manner, fashion, from Old French, of Germanic origin; see weid- in Indo-European roots.