- The definition of costume means a style of dress characteristic of a certain period or country or profession, or clothes worn for an event or a play or for a party with a theme.
- An example of a costume is clothing from the colonial period.
- An example of a costume is a vampire suit for Halloween.
- Costume is defined as to dress up or to provide with clothing.
An example of costume is to dress a child as Frankenstein for Halloween.
Children wearing Halloween costumes.
costume definition by Webster's New World
- the style of dress, including accessories, typical of a certain country, period, profession, etc.
- a set of clothes in such a style, as worn in a play or at a masquerade
- a set of outer clothes for some purpose or occasion, esp. one worn by a woman
Origin: 18th-c. art term ; from French ; from Italian ; from Classical Latin consuetudo, custom
- costumery noun
costume definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- A style of dress, including garments, accessories, and hairstyle, especially as characteristic of a particular country, period, or people.
- An outfit or a disguise worn on Mardi Gras, Halloween, or similar occasions.
- A set of clothes appropriate for a particular occasion or season.
- To put a costume on; dress.
- To design or furnish costumes for.
Origin: French, from Italian, style, dress, from Latin cōnsuētūdō, custom; see custom.