Flowering in the spring, this tree is an early bloomer.
bloomer definition by Webster's New World
- a plant with reference to its blooming: an early bloomer
- a person in the bloom or prime of life
Origin: short for blooming errorChiefly Brit., Slang a foolish or stupid mistake
- a costume for women or girls, consisting of a short skirt and loose trousers gathered at the ankles: worn in the 1850s, but never popular
- baggy trousers gathered at the knee, formerly worn by girls and women for athletics
- an undergarment somewhat like this
Origin: after Amelia Jenks Bloomer, who advocated the costume in the 1850s
bloomer definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- a. A plant that blooms.b. A person who attains full maturity and competence: a late bloomer.
- Slang A blunder.
- A costume formerly worn by women and girls that was composed of loose trousers gathered about the ankles and worn under a short skirt.
- bloomersa. Wide, loose trousers gathered at the knee and formerly worn by women and girls as an athletic costume.b. Girls' underpants of similar design.
Origin: After Amelia Jenks Bloomer.
, Amelia Jenks 1818-1894.