- a plant with reference to its blooming: an early bloomer
- a person in the bloom or prime of life
Origin of bloomershort for blooming errorChiefly Brit., Slang a foolish or stupid mistake
- a costume for women or girls, consisting of a short skirt and loose trousers gathered at the ankles: worn in the 1850s, but never popular
- baggy trousers gathered at the knee, formerly worn by girls and women for athletics
- an undergarment somewhat like this
Origin of bloomerafter Bloomer, who advocated the costume in the 1850s
- a. A plant that blooms.b. A person who attains full maturity and competence: a late bloomer.
- Slang A blunder.
- An outfit formerly worn by women and girls consisting of loose pants gathered about the ankles and worn under a skirt.
- bloomers a. Wide, loose pants gathered at the knee and formerly worn by women and girls for exercising and athletics.b. Girls' underpants of similar design.
Origin of bloomerAfterAmelia Jenks Bloomer
skirt and pants as shown on a c. 1851 cover of sheet music for Bloomer Waltz, composed by William Dressler
- An ironworker.
From the word bloom, for an iron ingot, from the Old English word blōma.
bloom + -er.
- (historical) A costume for women, consisting of a short dress with loose trousers gathered around the ankles, and often a broad-brimmed hat.
- (historical) A woman who wears a Bloomer costume.
Bloom + -er, from the surname of the American woman who sought to introduce this style of dress.
- Rose Selection Rugosa) - It is a long and persistent bloomer, and reaches the zenith of its beauty when the secondary flowers come with the glowing orange and red fruits that have succeeded the first flowers.
- A profuse bloomer, Chuck Hayes gardenia tolerates temperatures slightly cooler than Kleim's Hardy and is reported to produce nearly triple the amount of flowers as Kleim's Hardy.
- The flowers are said to be minute and inconspicuous, but the shrub is not apparently a free bloomer, as a specimen that has grown at Kingswear, S.
- If your "bloomer" style underwear has a high waist, it may show over the top of your skirt, especially if your top is a midriff-baring style.
- It can be awkward being the only girl in class who doesn't "need" a bra because she's a late bloomer.