- The definition of a blunder is a foolish mistake.
An example of blunder is someone referring to a man's wife as his daughter.
- Blunder means to say or do something in a careless or stupid way.
An example of blunder is someone tripping over their own foot.
A blunder that could have been avoided.Licensed from iStockPhoto
- to move clumsily or carelessly; flounder; stumble
- to make a foolish or stupid mistake
Origin: Middle English blunderen, frequentative ; from Old Norse blunda, to shut the eyes, akin to Swedish dialect, dialectal blundra, to do blindly ; from Indo-European base an unverified form bhlendh-: see blend
- to say stupidly, clumsily, or confusedly; blurt: often with out
- to do clumsily or poorly; bungle
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- To move clumsily or blindly.
- To make a usually serious mistake.
- To make a stupid, usually serious error in; botch.
- To utter (something) stupidly or thoughtlessly.
Origin: From Middle English blunderen, to go blindly, perhaps from Old Swedish blundra, have one's eyes closed, from Old Norse blunda.
- blunˈder·er noun
- blunˈder·ing·ly adverb