- a wrong or awkward step
- a mistake in conduct; faux pas
- A misplaced or awkward step.
- An instance of wrong or improper conduct; a blunder.
intransitive verbmis·stepped, mis·step·ping, mis·steps
(third-person singular simple present missteps, present participle missteping or misstepping, simple past and past participle missteped or misstepped)
- (intransitive) to step badly or incorrectly
- My dance partner misstepped and landed on my toe.
- (intransitive) to make an error or mistake
- I don't want to misstep; is this the right way?
From mis- +"Ž step.