A woman applying makeup.
- The definition of makeup is forgiving.
An example of makeup used as an adjective is in the sentence, "Give your friend a makeup handshake," which means to give your friend a handshake to show that the fight is over.
- Makeup is defined as how something is put together, or cosmetics.
- An example of makeup is the structure of a person's genes.
- An example of makeup is lipstick.
- the way in which something is put together; composition; construction
- nature; disposition; constitution: to have a stolid makeup
- the way in which an actor is made up for a role, as with a costume, wig, greasepaint, powder, etc.
- the costumes, wigs, greasepaint, etc. so used
- cosmetics generally; blush, lipstick, mascara, etc.
- the way in which these are applied or worn
- the arrangement of type, illustrations, etc. in a book, newspaper, page, etc.
- ⌂ Informal a special test that a student takes to make up for a test missed or failed
- The way in which something is composed or arranged; composition or construction.
- Printing The arrangement or composition, as of type or illustrations, on a page or in a book.
- The qualities or temperament that constitute a personality; disposition: Lying is not in her makeup.
- Cosmetics applied especially to the face.
- Materials, such as cosmetics and costumes, that an actor or actress uses in portraying a role.
- A special examination for a student who has been absent from or has failed a previous examination.
(usually uncountable, plural makeups)
- (uncountable) An item's composition.
- To understand how a nuclear reactor works, we must first look at its makeup.
- (uncountable) Cosmetics; colorants and other substances applied to the skin to improve its appearance.
- She is wearing a lot of makeup.
- (Industry) Replacement; material used to make up for the amount that has been used up.
The alternative spelling make-up is favored by the Oxford Dictionary, and thus is often considered to be British, while makeup, being preferred by Merriam Webster's dictionary, is the generally accepted American spelling.
- See also toiletry