A chemist at work in her chemistry laboratory.
- An example of chemistry is the study of protons and neutrons.
- An example of chemistry is the feeling of affection and attraction between a couple.
The definition of chemistry is a branch of science that deals with the form and properties of matter and substances or the interaction between individuals.
- the science dealing with the composition and properties of substances, and with the reactions by which substances are produced from or converted into other substances
- the application of this to a specified subject or field of activity
- the chemical properties, composition, reactions, and uses of a substance
- any process of synthesis or analysis similar to that used in chemistry: the chemistry of wit
- the makeup of a person, group, situation, etc.
- interaction between people, esp. with respect to emotional or intellectual qualities; rapport
- mutual sexual attraction
Origin of chemistrychemist + -ry
- The science of the composition, structure, properties, and reactions of matter, especially of atomic and molecular systems.
- The composition, structure, properties, and reactions of a substance.
- The elements of a complex entity and their dynamic interrelation: “Now that they had a leader, a restless chemistry possessed the group” ( John Updike )
- Mutual attraction or sympathy; rapport: The chemistry was good between the partners.
(countable and uncountable, plural chemistries)
- (uncountable) The branch of natural science that deals with the composition and constitution of substances and the changes that they undergo as a consequence of alterations in the constitution of their molecules.
- (countable) An application of chemical theory and method to a particular substance.
- the chemistry of iron
- the chemistry of indigo
- (informal) The mutual attraction between two people; rapport.
- Historical note: This word and its derivatives were formerly spelled chy- or sometimes chi- (i.e., chymistry, chymist, chymical, etc., or chimistry, chimist, chimical, etc.) with pronunciation depending on the spelling.
- chemical equation