The definition of complexion is the natural color and characteristics of your skin or the general appearance or nature of something.noun
- When you have very pale white skin, this is an example of a situation where you have a ghostly or ivory complexion.
- When a neighborhood is run down, this is an example of the complexion of the neighborhood.
- Historical the combination of the qualities of cold, heat, dryness, and moisture, or of the four humors, in certain proportions believed to determine the temperament and constitution of the body
- Obsolete the temperament or constitution of the body
- the color, texture, and general appearance of the skin, esp. of the face
- general appearance or nature; character; aspect
Origin: ME complexioun < OFr complexion, combination of humors, hence temperament < L complexio, combination < complexus: see complex
- complexional adjective
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- The natural color, texture, and appearance of the skin, especially of the face.
- General character, aspect, or appearance: findings that will alter the complexion of the problem.
- A viewpoint, inclination, or attitude: a conservative political complexion.
- The combination of the four humors of cold, heat, moistness, and dryness in specific proportions, thought in ancient and medieval physiology to control the temperament and the constitution of the body.
Origin: Middle English complexioun, physical constitution, from Old French complexion, from Late Latin complexiō, complexiōn-, balance of the humors, from Latin, combination, from complexus, past participle of complectī, to entwine; see complect.
- com·plexˈion·al adjective
complexion - Ologies & -Isms Definition
See also skin.achromasia absence of pigmentation in the skin. chlorosis greensickness; a disease of girls in puberty, characterized by, among other symptoms, greenishness of the complexion. erythrism a redness of beard and hair and ruddiness of complexion. —erythristic, erythrismal, adj. erythromania a mania for blushing. etiolation paleness of color as a result of illness or exclusion from light. See also plants. floridity the condition of being florid or highly colored, especially reddish, used especially of the complexion. — florid, adj. greensickness chlorosis. icterus jaundice. jaundice a disease of the liver, characterized by, among other symptoms, yellowness of the skin. Also called icterus. melanism darkness or blackness of eyes, hair, or complexion. rubescence 1. the state, condition, quality, or process of becoming or being red. 2. a blush. 3. the act of blushing. —rubescent, adj. rubicundity reddishness or ruddiness, especially of the complexion. —rubicund, adj. telangiectasis a chronic condition of dilatation of the capillaries and other blood vessels, as seen in the reddish faces of heavy drinkers and people whose faces are continually exposed to cold climates. —telangiectic, adj. xanthochroid a person with light-colored hair and fair complexion. —xanthochroid, xanthochroous, adj.
complexion - Medical Definition