- the way in which something is put together; composition; construction
- nature; disposition; constitution: to have a stolid makeup
- the way in which an actor is made up for a role, as with a costume, wig, greasepaint, powder, etc.
- the costumes, wigs, greasepaint, etc. so used
- cosmetics generally; blush, lipstick, mascara, etc.
- the way in which these are applied or worn
- the arrangement of type, illustrations, etc. in a book, newspaper, page, etc.
- Informal a special test that a student takes to make up for a test missed or failed