An example of character is someone who is known for being funny.
An example of character is a person who is trustworthy.
An example of character is an asterisk.
An example of character is the at symbol.
An educational program designed to develop character.
An inscription in the Runic character.
Personal attacks that damaged her character.
A cartoon character.
Great characters in history.
A character actor.
Catcalls from some character in the back row.
A script that is weak in plot but strong in character.
In his character as the father.
A character sketch.
The character part of the hero's devoted mother.
Left without a shred of character.
A study of the suspect's character and his cast iron alibi ruled him out.
Julius Caesar is a great historical character.
That bloke is such a character.
We saw a shady character slinking out of the office with some papers.
In the miserable character of a slave.
In his character as a magistrate.
A man's character for truth and veracity.
Her actions give her a bad character.
- Consistent with someone's general character or behavior:Behavior that was totally in character.
- Inconsistent with someone's general character or behavior:A response so much out of character that it amazed me.
- consistent with (or inconsistent with) the role or general character
Other Word Forms
Origin of character
- Middle English carecter distinctive mark, imprint on the soul from Old French caractere from Latin charactēr from Greek kharaktēr from kharassein to inscribe from kharax kharak- pointed stick
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English caracter, from Old French caractere, from Latin character, from Ancient Greek χαρακτήρ (kharaktēr, “type, nature, character”), from χαράσσω (kharassō, “I engrave”).