An example of character is someone who is known for being funny.
An example of character is a person who is trustworthy.
An example of character is an asterisk.
An example of character is the at symbol.
A character sketch.
Great characters in history.
A man's character for truth and veracity.
Her actions give her a bad character.
A study of the suspect's character and his cast iron alibi ruled him out.
Julius Caesar is a great historical character.
That bloke is such a character.
An inscription in the Runic character.
We saw a shady character slinking out of the office with some papers.
In the miserable character of a slave.
In his character as a magistrate.
- Consistent with someone's general character or behavior:.Behavior that was totally in character.
- Inconsistent with someone's general character or behavior:.A response so much out of character that it amazed me.
- Consistent with (or inconsistent with) the role or general character.
Origin of character
- Middle English carecter distinctive mark, imprint on the soul from Old French caractere from Latin charactēr from Greek kharaktēr from kharassein to inscribe from kharax kharak- pointed stick
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Middle English caracter, from Old French caractere, from Latin character, from Ancient Greek χαρακτήρ (kharaktēr, “type, nature, character”), from χαράσσω (kharassō, “I engrave”).