An example of symbol is a jack o' lantern representing Halloween.
A phallic symbol.
The dollar symbol has no relationship to the concept of currency or any related idea.
The Apostles, Nicene Creed and the confessional books of Protestantism, such as the Augsburg Confession of Lutheranism are considered symbols.
- An object used to represent something abstract.The dove is a symbol of peace.
- A stylized emblem.An upside-down Y is a peace symbol.
- A person who represents a quality, movement, etc.A sex symbol.
Origin of symbol
- Middle English symbole creed from Old French from Latin symbolum token, mark from Greek sumbolon token for identification (by comparison with a counterpart) sun- syn- ballein to throw gwelə- in Indo-European roots
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From French symbole, from Latin symbolus, symbolum (“a sign, mark, token, symbol, in Late Latin also a creed"), from Ancient Greek ÏƒÏÎ¼Î²Î¿Î»Î¿Î½ (sumbolon, “a sign by which one infers something; a mark, token, badge, ticket, tally, check, a signal, watchword, outward sign"), from ÏƒÏ…Î¼Î²Î¬Î»Î»Ï‰ (sumballÅ, “I throw together, dash together, compare, correspond, tally, come to a conclusion"), from ÏƒÏÎ½ (sun, “with, together") + Î²Î¬Î»Î»Ï‰ (ballÅ, “I throw, put")