An example of a composition is a flower arrangement.
An example of a composition is a manuscript.
An example of a composition is how the flowers and vase are arranged in Van Gogh's painting Sunflowers.
- A mixture of several parts or ingredients.
- A musical work.Mozart's compositions for string quartet.
- An exercise in writing done as schoolwork.
- A painting, sculpture, etc. with respect to the aesthetic arrangement of its elements or features.
- The putting together of words, esp. in a correct and effective way; art of writing.
- The creation of musical works.
With an incredible courage they advanced to the push of the Pike with the defendants, that with the like courage repulsed [...], that the Turks retired and fled into the Castle, from whence by a flag of truce they desired composition.
Origin of composition
- Middle English composicioun from Old French composition from Latin compositiō compositiōn- from compositus past participle of compōnere to put together component
From American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language, 5th Edition
- From Old French composicion, from Latin compositiō.