- a drawing or diagram showing the arrangement in horizontal section of a structure, piece of ground, etc.
- a scheme or program for making, doing, or arranging something; project, design, schedule, etc.
- a method of proceeding
- any outline or sketch
- in perspective, any of several planes thought of as perpendicular to the line of sight and between the eye and the object
Origin of planFr, plan, plane, foundation: merging of plan ( from Classical Latin planus: see plain) with Middle French plant from Italian pianta from Classical Latin planta, sole of the foot: see plant
transitive verbplanned, plan′ning
- to make a plan of (a structure, piece of ground, etc.)
- to devise a scheme for doing, making, or arranging
- to have in mind as a project or purpose