- a drawing or other representation, usually on a flat surface, of all or part of the earth's surface, ordinarily showing countries, bodies of water, cities, mountains, etc.
- a similar representation of part of the sky, showing the relative position of the stars, planets, etc.
- any maplike representation or delineation
- Slang the face
- Genetics a graphic representation of the relative locations of various genes on a chromosome or plasmid
Origin of mapMedieval Latin mappa (mundi), map (of the world) from Classical Latin mappa, napkin, cloth (on which maps were painted): said (by Quintilian) to be of Punic origin, originally ; probably from Talmudic Hebrew mappa from an unverified form manpa, contr. from menafa, a fluttering banner
transitive verbmapped, map′ping
- to make a map or maps of; represent or chart on or as on a map
- to arrange or plan in detail: often with out: to map out a project
- to survey or explore for the purpose of making a map
- Genetics: see mapnoun above
- to locate (a particular gene) on a chromosome or plasmid
- to make a genetic map of: to map the human genome
- Math. to transform, as by a mapping
put on the map
wipe off the map