- The definition of apparel is anything you wear to protect, wrap, or beautify your body.
A jogging suit is an example of sports apparel.
These people are wearing exercise apparel.
apparel definition by Webster's New World
- clothing; garments; attire
- anything that clothes or adorns: the white apparel of winter
- Archaic a ship's outfit or furnishings, as rigging, anchor, guns, etc.
Origin: Middle English appareil ; from Old French apareil ; from Vulgar Latin an unverified form appariculum, equipment ; from an unverified form appariculare, to clothe ; from Classical Latin apparare: see apparatus
apparel definition by American Heritage Dictionary
- Clothing, especially outer garments; attire.
- A covering or adornment: trees with their apparel of foliage.
- To clothe or dress.
- To adorn or embellish.
Origin: Middle English appareil, from Old French apareil, preparation, from apareillier, to prepare, possibly from Vulgar Latin *appariculāre, from Latin apparāre; see apparatus .