Variant of apparatus
- the instruments, materials, tools, etc. needed for a specific use
- any complex device or machine for a specific use
- Physiol. a set of organs having a specific function: the digestive apparatus
- the means or system by which something is kept in action or a desired result is obtained; organization: the apparatus of government
- the notes, indexes, glossaries, etc. of a scholarly edition of a textin full apparatus criticus
Origin: Classical Latin a making ready, preparation ; from apparare ; from ad-, to plush parare, prepare
Used by arrangement with John Wiley & Sons, Inc.